Who likes custard!
I love love love this custard recipe. It’s really simple to follow and quick to make! Are those two things the best? I mean, don’t we all love an easy step-to-step recipe that will bring joy to our lives???
Flan is a type of custard with caramel sauce running down its edges. It requires simple ingredients and some easy steps. That being said, my favorite Flan has cream cheese in it!
In my culture, we call this custard Flan Napolitano. It’s pretty much just a step up to a regular Flan. And the step is really short… I mean, all you need to do is add one ingredient to the original recipe. Really simple right?
14 oz Condensed Milk can
12 oz Evaporated Milk can
4 oz Cream Cheese
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
4 Large Eggs
3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- In a heavy saucepan, cook sugar over medium-low heat until melted and golden, about 5-10 minutes. Brush down crystals on the side of the pan with a metal spoon. Quickly pour into an ungreased 2-qt. round baking or souffle dish, tilting to coat the bottom; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a blender, mix eggs, cream cheese, vanilla extract, evaporated milk, and condensed milk until well combined. Pour over caramelized sugar.
- The next step is a process called a bain-marie. Place the dish in a larger baking pan. Pour boiling water into a larger pan to a depth of about 1 inch. Bake until the center is just set (mixture will jiggle a bit), 50-60 minutes.
- Remove dish from a larger pan to a wire rack; cool for 1 hour. Refrigerate overnight.
- To unmold, run a knife around the edges and invert onto a large rimmed serving platter. Cut yourself a slice and enjoy!